William Steineker occupied the Fisher building at the corner of Spring and Adams Street as a ladies tailor shop when this postcard view was made in 1905. He departed for Easton in May 1910. Next came Walter Storeys china and glassware emporium. Margaret Cortelyou resided in the brick structure with granite trimmings, designed by architect John J. Merriam, of Summit, New Jersey. Ground was broken for her residence on May 8, 1895 and the building cost $20,000 to build. Andrew W. Price had the mason contract and Simeon S. Cook did the carpentry. Anthony F. ODonnell did the stone trimmings while Kintling, Andrew & Co., of New York, supplied the mantles, tiling and grates. The building, 62 feet front and 70 feet deep, included a parlor, reception hall, dining room, kitchen and butlers pantry on the first floor. The second floor had seven bedrooms, sewing and bath room. There were five rooms on the third floor. There are porches on two stories, each measuring 28 by 10 feet, set in archways with stone pillars. The store room, 20 by 68 feet, was originally occupied by Daniel Fisher as billiard and pool parlors. In April 1910, fisher converted the bowling alley and billiard parlor to a moving picture show house. The Pleasant Hour movie theatre was outfitted with 200 easy chairs. It subsequently housed a barber shop and a confectionery store. In January 1923, Lodge No. 654, Loyal Order of Moose purchased the building and occupied a large room, 55 feet long, on the second floor. The large store room was leased to Attilio Mutti for his Goodie Shop. For many years, a luncheonette called the Green Room did business at this location.
A Walk Through Time
Six streams or rivulets of spring water originally crossed Spring Street, running off Slate Hill and into the Gray Swamp, a name derived from the peculiar color of the thick growth of white birches, and long used by settlers and hunters. The road to Big Spring in the bog meadow, concisely named Spring Street, is as old as the village of Newton, forming part of the King's Highway over Sparta mountain to Swartswood Lake. In 1810, Colonel James Conover surveyed and auctioned the Additonal Town Lots, framed by streets named for Presidents Washington, Adams, Jefferson and Madison. The most valuable lots had frontage on Spring Street. Surprisingly, some early dwellings survive along Spring Street, though often modified by commercial use. John W. Smith, blacksmith, purchased and settled the Smith-Tuttle Lot at 131-139 Spring Street in April 1827, building the oldest portion of the dwelling at 131-133 Spring Street. The adjacent shop at 139 Spring Street was probably built after fire destroyed Smith's blacksmithy in January 1835. In 1872, Rutherford Tuttle, Smith's son-in-law, added a 10-foot extension to the front of the dwelling. Then, in March 1875, he added another story within a mansard roof atop the residence of the late Sarah Smith at 133 Spring Street. A store room opened here in 1907. Nathan Weinstein, dry-goods merchant, purchased the Tuttle property in 1924, employing Coley Brown to build an addition to the rear of 131-133 Spring Street in February 1927. William Valler opened the Quality Shoe Shop at 139 Spring Street in February 1932. Other early residences are the Gordon-English Dwelling (1848), attached at the rear of the English Building, and a very old dwelling underlying the Waldmere Hotel.
An old mortise-and-tenon barn survives in the neighborhood. An 1851 map shows an alley leading from Spring Street to the rear of 54 Trinity Street. A heavy white-oak frame with cedar-shingled roof forms the center section of the present residence at 54 Trinity Street. The age of this barn is unknown, but in 1864, Isaac Shiner (who had built the adjacent residence at 10 Union Place in 1855) opened a sorghum syrup factory here, taking advantage of the high price of sugar, occasioned by the Civil War, to manufacture this substitute sweetener. Francis Crawn added an addition along the southeast side in May 1927, converting the second story to an apartment.
In 1829, George Walker erected a two-story dwelling and store-house at 221 Spring Street. The building has been enlarged and altered over time, the store fronts having been added after the opening of Newton Theatre in May 1924. In 1930, Newton Public Market and the Newton & Dover Fruit Market occupied these store rooms.
After the Sussex Railroad opened to Newton in December 1854, Michael Titman and James Martin constructed a large store on the site of the parking plaza opposite Newton Theatre, at the intersection of Spring Street and a new street called Union Place. In 1857, County Clerk James Martin built the dwelling at 236 Spring Street, situated diagonally opposite from his store. Jackson Cole, grocer, resided here from 1885 to 1930.
The side-hall, two-story dwelling at 220 Spring Street was built by Oakley Pellet, merchant and postmaster, in 1860. In 1862, he sold to Edward Stackhouse. Dr. Bruno Hood purchased the premises in 1895 and employed carpenter William Walker to build an addition to the rear in 1897. In October 1923, Joseph and Anna Abruzzo purchased the property and added the Mission-style storefront, opening the Three Trees Tea Room here in 1925.
Transportation of coal by rail encouraged manufacturing by steam engine. The Old Foundry Building at 123-125 Spring Street was built by George Nelden and Samuel Bodine, stove founders, in 1859. In 1882, Edward C. Moore added another story to the front part of this building. James R. Roof added a wooden livery stable at the rear of the Old Foundry Building in 1912 (now 14 Moran Street). Sears & Roebuck opened in the Old Foundry in 1936, succeeding Woolworth's five-and-dime store.
Next door, John and James English built the brick storehouse at 127-129 Spring Street as a blacksmithy and harness shop in 1863. Fred Walker opened an ice cream parlor and confectionery here in 1888, selling to son-in-law, Sutton Paddock, in 1909. William Klingener took over trade here in 1912.
Sheriff Smith's building at 189-193 Spring Street occupies part of the site of the old Sussex Foundry. The front part of the old foundry, then housing the office of The New Jersey Herald burned down on July 7, 1865. James Smith built the large mansard brick building in 1868, wherein he operated his woodworking and metal shop. Block Brothers of Yonkers opened at 189 Spring Street in 1910, becoming the Barney Block Surprise store in 1920. Arthur Parcell's Community Market opened at 193 Spring Street in December 1935. Globe Army & Navy Store was opened by Jack Weiss at this address in November 1939. The Newton Drug Store was established in 1961,in a narrow store at 199 Spring Street, built in an alleyway adjacent to the Smith Building.
The Savacool Paper Box Factory at 185-187 Spring Street was built about 1868 by John Lane as a stove-and-tin store. McEwen Brothers, proprietors of the Hamburg Paper Mill, opened a box factory here in 1887. George H. Savacool purchased the business in November 1888. In 1900, he also purchased the building, extending it 40 feet to the rear. In February 1926, James L. Kymer bought and remodeled the Savacool Box Factory, installing a new commercial front with plate-glass windows.
The English Blacksmithy at 155 Spring Street was built of brick in 1875 by James English on the site of an earlier smithy destroyed by fire. It was converted to a store room with plate-glass front in 1887. Herman Panimo opened a clothing outlet called the Leader Store here in 1917 which remained for many years.
Caroline Edsall, widow of newspaper publisher Benjamin B. Edsall, employed Simeon Cook to construct the lovely Queen Anne residence at 223 Spring Street in 1882.
Dr. John J. Case purchased the old Heminover dwelling at 170 Spring Street in 1876 and remodeled it. In 1884, he built an ornamental front to his house; the first floor providing an office and store room. He added a story to the rear in 1891 and further extended the back of the building in 1897. Dan Fisher purchased the premises in 1904, remodeling the front in 1923 for a billiard parlor.
The Catherine Murray Building at 149-153 Spring Street was built by Walker Brothers in 1882. In December 1923, Fred Walker remodeled the storefront at 149 Spring Street, changing the entrance to the west side and combining the windows into one large show window. He installed a White Knight soda fountain. When Thomas Murray died in March 1926, he left a legacy for construction of Newton Hospital.
The Walker-Stogel Building at 209-213 Spring Street was built as a double house in 1886. In February 1926, Sam and Charles Stogel made extensive alterations: lowering the building to street level, extending the front 14' for two store rooms and adding a 20'-foot extension to the rear for seven apartments.
Town Committeeman Martin E. Hough employed Walker Brothers to build the Hough Apartment Flats in Adamesque Revival style on the Meachem Lot at 214 Spring Street in 1895. In August 1923, barber Philemon Brodte employed carpenter Orison Thorpe to build a three-story rear piazza.
The Romanesque Revival residence and store room of Margaret Cortelyou at 156-160 Spring Street was built in 1896. In April 1923, the building was purchased by Lodge No. 654, Loyal Order of Moose. Attilio Mutti then opened his confectionery and ice cream parlor, adding a large plateglass store window and cutting a door on the east side to provide a second entrance from Spring Street. He installed a soda fountain and candy cases.
In July 1895, Mrs. Cortelyou purchased the lot at 166 Spring Street, where a store owned by Dr. John Case then stood, under condition that she build a brick store building thereon. The ornamental metal cornice on this Chateauesque storehouse is one of the finest in town. Lewis Trapasso opened his clothing store at 166-168 Spring Street in 1936, installing the well-preserved store front.
In 1896, James English employed Newton contractors O'Donnell & McManiman to build an imposing brick storehouse at 161-165 Spring Street, surmounted by an ornamental crest bearing the family name. The Wilkinson Pharmacy at 161 Spring Street was sold to Orville Allison and John Hendershot in October 1911. Allison purchased Charles Whites drug business in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania and departed Newton after five years residency. The firms business was continued by his partner, J. Hendershot, under the name Hendershots Drug Store, in August 1916. Miss Mary K. Beatty's Millinery occupied 165 Spring Street from 1906 until 1926 when the business was purchased by Winifred Tyack. Newton Sport Store opened at 165 Spring Street in October 1940.
In 1897, the brick storehouse at 181-183 Spring Street was built for Catherine Murray. George Savacool, proprietor of the adjacent Box Factory, purchased this property in 1911, adding two store rooms on the first floor while converting the second story to apartments by addition of bay windows.
The imposing Renaissance Revival Store-House at 178-182 Spring Street was built by George Walker in May 1900. In 1923, George Gelber, proprietor of the American Store, added a plate-glass front and new entrance facing the intersection of Spring and Adams Streets.
Donato Concilio built the Romanesque Revival storehouse at 184-188-190 Spring Street in 1905. He enlarged it by additions to the rear in 1910 and 1912. Until a few years ago, the Old Methodist Parsonage stood behind this building.
Edward Frace built a residence at 201-207 Spring Street in 1883, selling to Margaret Cortelyou in 1902. She conveyed the premises to Mat Klepacky, tailor, in June 1907. He apparently built the present gambrel roof building with double storefront. In 1930, Mrs. Joseph Kornheiser's restaurant was located adjacent to Klepacky's tailor shop.
The furniture and undertaking business of Lanterman & Iliff was organized in 1902. In 1912, furniture dealer John Iliff built a three-story brick building at 173-175 Spring Street, supplemented by a two-story frame addition at the rear. The Iliff Building was sold to The Other Place in 1978.
In July 1917, automobile dealers Wilbur Boss & Herbert Seiple leased the vacant blacksmith shop, measuring 25 by 60 feet, on the Warford property, corner of Spring and Jefferson Streets, and opened an automotive garage and showroom. In 1919, they built the ashlar cement-block showroom at 200 Spring Street, later known as the Corner Hutch. Dot's Beauty Shop opened in the new store room (198 Spring Street) between the Boss & Seiple Buildings in 1932.
In 1921, Clarence DeHart purchased the lot adjoining the Hough Apartment Flats and erected a commercial building at 216 Spring Street. Lackawanna Cleaning and Dyeing Shop occupied the premises in 1925.
The Kaye Building at 167-169 Spring Street was built as a modern department store for Harry Kaye, proprietor of Bon Ton, Inc., in 1923.
In January 1923, the Newton Amusement Corporation awarded the construction contract for a stadium-type theater, capable of seating 1,000 people, to William Houghton. It was designed in Colonial Style by Reilly & Hall of New York. Load-bearing columns, consisting of 50 tons of steel supplied by the Submarine Boat Corporation of Newark, made the building of the safest type known to modern engineering science. Tapestry brick, pilasters and niches of ornamental stonework, and a marquise with 180 electric lights decorated the facade. Newton Theatre opened May 15, 1924. At that time, it was considered the most imposing theatre in any town of the size of Newton east of the
Construction of Newton Theatre at 226-234 Spring Street in 1923 stimulated commercial development in its neighborhood. The snug little store house at 218 Spring Street was built in 1925 and leased by Leigh Kymer for a fruit market. In 1927, Francis Crawn opened a Frigidaire dealership here. Joseph Morrison opened his General Electric Appliance Store at 218 Spring Street in 1945.
John and Charles Hendershot purchased the old Newton Hotel from Elias Horton in 1919. Architect J. J. Vreeland designed a one-story brick and concrete building with three store rooms that was built on this site in August 1925. F. W. Woolworth converted the Hendershot Building to a five-and-dime store in June 1936, adding the beautiful front of polished granite and Indiana limestone.
Wilson's Dining Car, a unique architectural feature of Spring Street, was installed at 219-1/2 Spring Street in April 1926. Today, the form of this stainless steel dining car with cedar-shingled side panels can only be discerned on the interior.
Walsh Garage, one of the best surviving Mission-style automotive repair shops, was built at 241 Spring Street in November 1927.
The Gelber Building at 217-219 Spring Street was built for George Gelber in 1928. The Sussex County Cut-Rate Drug Store opened here in 1933. In August 1935, the Sussex County Drug Store at 217-219 Spring Street enlarged its building.
In September 1937, Newton Motors built a garage and showroom at 237 Spring Street on the site of the old Stuart Homestead. The smooth stucco finish and curved showroom front are defining features of Art Moderne. These features were removed when it was converted to a pharmacy a few years ago.
The Julier Building at 179 Spring Street was probably built shortly before Nick Grabow's Department Store opened here in December 1939. This brick-front frame building on cement block foundation occupies part of a lot conveyed to Thomas Murray by John Lane in 1869. Catherine Murray deeded the same premises to her daughter, Margaret, wife of George Julier, in January 1896. George Julier introduced lager beer to Newton in 1860. Margaret Julier died in October 1905, leaving the property to her five children. Amelia Julier took sole possession in 1923. She died in 1948, leaving the building to Thomas and George Julier.
The George B. Case Block at 130-138 Spring Street was destroyed by fire on October 31, 1940. William Houghton received the contract to erect a one-story store building with porcelain enamel front. The A & P Supermarket opened in the new building on July 31, 1941.
In 1940, the New Jersey Improvement Corporation built a one-story storehouse with colored enamel front, housing an Acme Super Self-Service Market and two smaller stores, on the site of the old Merrit Pinckney homestead at 238-242 Spring Street.
The National Hotel, 271 Spring Street
Col. James Fitts built the National Hotel, opposite the Newton train station, in 1870, then sold it to Henry M. Ward. In 1873, Mr. Ward doubled its capacity by blasting rock to make room for a 40-foot extension. W. E. Ricker took over in December 1876. In March 1883, another addition was completed. Henry Durling purchased the Lackawanna Hotel from Charles Fredenburgh in 1909. In March 1911, he employed Budd & Cole to extend the hotel's porch. In May 1919, Newton's first automobile license tests were conducted at the Lackawanna House. Henry Durling died on March 5, 1925.
The Queen Anne facade of the Waldmere encloses one of Newton's oldest dwellings. The hotel occupies a lot sold by Samuel and Rebecca Johnson to Daniel Flood for $200 in June 1819. The northwest part of the building was built and occupied by Daniel Griswold of Connecticut who was engaged at the Balesville woolen mill. A wing nearest the Fire House was built later. His daughter, Lydia, married Benjamin Phillips. Bonnell Hagerty sold the proiperty to Lydia Griswold Phillips in July 1822 for $450. As early as May 1, 1833, Lydia's mother, Mrs. Griswold, opened a summer term of her school here. Lydia Phillips opened a select school for young ladies in November 1844, holding classes on the second floor, which students reached by an open stairway at the rear. Mrs. Phillips taught classes for several years and then went South during the period of the Negro Insurrection. Returning, she continued to teach until incapacitated by old age. She saved $2,000 to build a public library, but this trust fund disappeared after her death, leaving her purpose unfulfilled. Nathan Drake purchased the house in January 1854 for $1,600. Andrew Brickner bought it in March 1886 and remodeled the building, transforming the Phillips residence into a commodious hotel in 1903.
When opened, the new and handsomely furnished hotel was four stories high, 50 by 70 feet, with accomodations for 75 guests. An office, 18 by 12 feet, and main entrance were located in the center of the first floor. A private entrance for ladies was made on the northwest side, and a hall opened into the main dining room which seated 75 to 100 persons. A kitchen having ample refrigerators, convenient of access was located behind the dining room. It also opened into a grill room on the east side which contained apartments for private parties. The grill room lay beyond the refreshment parlor and lunch counter. Oak and cherry were used to finish the first floor and the staircase was described as a work of art.
A large public parlor, private dining room and many capacious apartments occupied the second floor. The upper floors each contained 17 bedrooms. Each floor was supplied with bath and toilet rooms, electric bells, gas and electric lights, and carpets rich and of different patterns and colors on each floor. An elevator ran the full height of the building. It was advertised that: All rooms have the sun at some time during the day, and are airy and particularly well ventilated by numerous windows and central halls. The Waldmere opened December 21, 1903.In January 1916, Louis Stout took over management. Frank Mutti purchased the hotel in June 1918 for $11,110. Mr. Stout was succeeded as manager by John Toal of New York in January 1919. In October 1940, Mrs. Joseph Morello employed Paul Moneleone of New York to redecorate the dining room. The Waldmere Restaurant provides catering for all occasions, lunches, dinners, cocktails and specializes in seafood.
Copyright 2000 Kevin W. Wright. All rights reserved.