|Brick Row on the Green 1857-1865
The Brick Row on the Green shows the expansive influence upon trade of the Sussex Railroad, which reached Newton in December 1854. Such multistoried, attached emporiums were a departure from the domestically-scaled shops and storehouses of the past. Wooden awnings or piazzas extending over the sidewalk originally sheltered shoppers and merchandise.
Newton Drug Store (71-75 Spring Street) with two store rooms is nearest the viewer. James A. Goodale, druggist, purchased the site in March 1856 and removed two frame buildings to make room for his new store. As marked by a mortar and pestle, Goodales Drug Store w
as located at 75 Spring Street. John Trusdell, photographer, had a skylight gallery upstairs. When this photograph was taken, the hardware store of Truer & Frambee occupied 71 73 Spring Street. William and Samuel Nicholls opened a book and sporting goods store at 71 Spring Street in 1890. William Nicholls died in 1937 and was succeeded by Emest Smith. Cyrus K. Foster, bookseller and stationer, purchased 73-75 Spring Street from Joseph Warbasse in November 1891. He was succeeded at this location by W. H. Sherreds Busy Store.
Central Hall (67-69 Spring Street) was built in 1856- 57 by John Edwards and James Smith. David R. Hull purchased the building with Anson Rosenkrans on January 1, 1863, but their partnership dissolved a month before this picture was taken. Mr. Hull continued the dry and fancy goods trade. Owens and later Andrew C. Townleys Photographic Gallery was located on the third floor. David Ryerson Hull died in November 1904, but the store continued under his name until 1934 when J. J. Newberry opened.
Jacob Snyder built the storehouse at 65 Spring Street in 1864. He opened a grocery, dry goods and carpet store in partnership with Gabriel Collver. The wooden awning was removed in 1888 when the building was remodeled for occupancy by Pinkney & Branigan. Jacob Snyder & Sons succeeded William Pinkney and James Branigan at 65 Spring Street in 1894. The firm continued until November 1937, when the building was leased to J. J. Newberry.
The Martin Storehouse at 61 Spring Street was built for Lebbius Martin, clothier, in 1864. Until recently, this was a rare example of a timber-frame, brickfront building. Tuttle & Tully removed the wooden piazza in 1887 when they installed a plate-glass storefront. In April 1890, Rutherford Tuttle and son, Frederick, formed a partnership in the clothing trade and continued the Sussex Hall of Fashion at 61 Spring Street. They were succeeded in August 1904 by Victor Decker and Wilbur Boss.
Lyman Edwards & Son, stove and tin dealers, opened their new storehouse at 57 Spring Street on March 30, 1865. A plate-glass front was added by Huston & Van Blarcom in February 1889. The wooden awning was removed by William Earl in 1897 when he opened a twenty-six room hotel and cafe at 57 Spring Street on October 16, 1897. The business continued until its proprietors death in April 1925.
The brick storehouse of John C. Williams, cabinet maker, at 53-55 Spring Street, was built in 1851. A plate-glass storefront was installed here in 1875 when S. Halsted Shafer removed his bookstore to this store room. William Waiter Roe took over the furniture and under taking trade at 53-55 Spring Street from Charles Fountain, deceased, in 1890. In 1898, Mr. Roe built a three-story brick addition, 25 feet by 30 feet, to the rear.
Copyright 2000 Kevin W. Wright. All rights reserved.